Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Latest Arts & Craft Projects

Being a newly wed means being a lot of things: today it is being frugal and making due with what you have. So for my first and ever attempt to recover a piece of furniture, I took an ottoman from the 70's (it was given to me by mamaw-K. It was in our playroom growing up). I ripped off the 70's fabric that was falling apart as I went. Then took some fabric I got at Hobby Lobby in the leftover scratch section (super on sale....one of my love, love, loves).



My Second project is a headboard. Alex and I have been sleeping on a queen size bed (my bed since I was a little girl) and seeing that Alex and are table people, we have been "very close" at night for the last year and an half. So as a Christmas/Anniversary present we saved up for a King-size mattress set. However when started to prices beds, or even just a headboard, we were looking at about $250 easy.
So it got me thinking, what if made one! I found some fabric that I feel in love with and by God's awesome timing it was 50% off! Plus 90% of the tools I needed we either had, I could borrow or found on sale as well!
Then I found a " how-to" video on Youtube for a twin headboard and applied the method to a King-size (minus a few steps. didn't use the same design they did). It took me a full day to do the project and when i got to the part of adding the fabric, Alex helped me out from there on. I was going to tuff matching buttons but once we got the fabric on we loved it just as it looked. So we left it as that. Hope you like it. AND BONUS: we did it all for a fraction of what a headboard like it would have cost us! We feel like we are in a hotel get-a-way every morning! Hope you enjoy!


No comments: