Monday, April 19, 2010

Not one more thing


This weekend was packed full of wonderful events. First Friday Night was the last Night of Worship for the Singles Ministry I work with for this semester. It was different from a regular Night of Worship, we asked Neil Greenhaw Band to play a Benefit concert to raise awareness and fund for our summer mission trips (New Orleans, Haiti, Guatemala). We had a great turn out at Trees at Waterside for the concert, raised some funds, prayed over the three groups going this summer and Neil lead us into a great time of Worship! What a blessing!

Then on Saturday I got to pull out my camera and takes some great pictures with my Marco lens (haven't done that in forever)

Then we celebrated my Mamaw Kitchens 80th birthday (which is really Wednesday, which I will talk more about her then). All of the family was there, including my cousin and his wife who are expecting their first!!! They have been trying for years and finally when they gave up, tada! Baby on Board!!! We are so excited for them and can not with to meet him or her! Mamaw loved it bc she had asked me for a baby for her birthday. Well she got her wife, just from a different grandchild. Thanks John!

Instead I got her a book that I made for her. When her and papaw first met he was being drafted for WWII so they wrote to each other for a whole year (like two letters a week or so) and she kept all of them! I got to read them by noticed they envelops were falling apart and some of the paper was as thin as tissue paper. So I spent 4 hours at Walmart one day scanning in all of the letters onto a CD (GREAT Customer Service by the way!), then edited/enhanced the photos on my computer and made a coffee table book on Walmart.com photo center. Then as her gift I gave her back the letters (which I had for over a year) and had her open the book. Here was her face!

I think she loved it! We sat and talked about papaw and how they saw each other only 4 times before they got married when he was released early than expected from the war and the ring he bought her was at the local drug store. She was 16 and he was 18 years old. They were getting married because their best friends were and then afterwards mamaw said she was going home. So papaw went with her. And back then the homes weren't a bunch of rooms so papaw slept with mamaw in a bed that was in the same room as her parents. Mamaw said she doesn't even think that papaw didn't so much as breath so that he wouldn't make a sound! We also talked about how papaw use to tell us stories all the time but would pass them off as the truth. We didn't know he wasn't telling the truth until years later! He loved pulling all of our legs! Great memories!!!

Sunday was a great day of chill time with Alex (which we desperately needed)


No comments: